Houston Woman And Child Dead Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Using Car To Stay Warm, Police Say

Topline
A woman and a child are dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after using their car to keep warm amid the blistering cold in Houston, Texas, where over a million people went without power overnight. 

Vehicles move on a snow-capped road in Houston, Texas, the United States, on Feb. 15, 2021.

Xinhua News Agency/Getty Images

Key Facts

The Houston Police Department said officers were conducting a welfare check in west Houston after midnight when they found two adults and two children affected by carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Police believe the family was running their car inside their garage to stay warm when the fumes from the exhaust seeped inside the connecting home. 

When police arrived, they found the woman dead inside the car and an 8-year-old girl dead inside the house. 

The man and the 7-year-old boy were found unconscious inside the house and were taken to hospital in critical condition, according to police.

Key Background
This is the second reported carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Houston since widespread power outages began Monday morning. A family of six—including four children—was hospitalized Monday afternoon after reportedly using a charcoal grill to heat their apartment. One of the children and one of the adults are in critical condition. Over a million in the Houston area were left without power overnight on Monday, the city’s coldest night since 1989. 

Crucial Quote
Officials are warning about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. “You know it’s a very difficult time, a lot of people are without power. I know it’s cold, but you have to be careful about using generators or cars inside of garages … Carbon monoxide it’s odorless and it can kill people,” Houston police Lt. Larry Crowson told local news outlet Click Houston. 

Further Reading 
“Tornado In North Carolina Kills 3, Millions Without Power As Adverse Weather Continues Across The U.S.” (Forbes)

“Texas Family Believed To Have Used Charcoal Grill For Heat Amid Bitter Cold Hospitalized For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning” (Forbes)

“’We didn’t prepare for this’: 1.4M in Houston left without power on coldest day since 1989” (The Houston Chronicle)

Read More

Leave a Reply